Contact: Ria Cooper
Phone: 941.351.9010 x3306
Starting cost per student: $6
Additional Info: $200 per class; additional workshops $150 each
Max. Capacity: 30
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation?
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
- Session #1: Watch video interview and costume shop tour
- Session #2: Costume design activity – this project may expand into further research and/or homework
- Session #3: Video or live conference with Asolo Repertory Theatre’s Costume Shop Manager, David Covach
Goals: Students will…
- Explore a career connected to Language Arts, Social Studies, Visual Arts, and Theatre Arts.
- Explore the role of the Costume Designer as part of the Production Team
- Explore & identify the duties of the Costume Designer
- Apply critical thinking and analysis of literature to design elements.
Materials Provided by Asolo Rep:
- Basic kit of art supplies for sketching and collage
- Costume planning “notebook” (Teacher will need to make enough copies for each student)
Materials Provided by School and/or Students:
- Blank sketch paper for each student
- Pencil with eraser for each student
- Optional: collage materials (via hard copy or web)
- glue, poster, magazine or photos clippings
- access to personal Pinterest or Tumblr accounts, or other online resources
- Video conference equipment (Safari Live)
This activity requires students to have understanding of a character to use as the basis for their design explorations. Students should have read an entire work of drama or fiction; this activity is less suited to use with a work that the students have not yet finished reading.
If you are using non-fiction as your source, students should be aware of general biographical information about their character as well as at least one specific event or occasion to use as the “scene” which will be costumed.
Alysha DeVries, Asolo Repertory Theatre Costume Shop Manager David Covach, and Teresa Consolvo. Photo by David Matheson. Photo courtesy Asolo Rep.
SS.8.FL.1.1, VA.68.H.3.2, VA.68.H.3.3, VA.68.F.2.1, VA.68.S.1.3, LAFS.7.RL.1.3, TH.68.O.1.2, LAFS.1112.RI.1.3, LAFS.1112.W.3.9, SS.912.H.1.1, SS.912.H.2.5, VA.912.S.1.3, VA.912.H.2.3, TH.912.F.2.2, TH.912.F.1.1