Contact: Karen Willey
Starting cost per student: $5
Additional Info: Teacher Training: $100 for 1 hour In class program: $350 for a full day
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? School
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
This Tech Kit developed by Around the Bend Nature Tours is available on loan from the Sarasota Bay Estuary P.I.E.R. Program for a period of up to 2 weeks. Students will understand the concept of watershed. Students will understand that non-point source pollution can be mitigated by the principals of Low Impact Development. Students will map the flow of water from their school site to Sarasota Bay and ultimately the Gulf of Mexico. Students will analyze water quality in the school retention pond and any accessible adjacent waterways. Students will create a model LID program for a real site. On an optional field trip students will analyze water quality in the field.
OPTIONAL: Field trip sites include the Celery Fields, Bay Preserve in Osprey, Oscar Scherer State Park or 5th Street LID Project in Palmetto.
Included in the Low Impact Development – LID Tech Kit:
- Teacher notebook with lesson plans, worksheet masters and instructions
- Jump drive with videos, power points, lesson plans, masters
- 10 LaMotte Water Quality Test Kits
- All materials needed for the following activities
- Fred the Fish Activity – follow Fred down a waterway as he encounters pollution
- Contaminated Creek Activity
- Water Quality Testing with LaMotte Kits and Test-tabs
- Water Wonders Water Cycle Activity – students become water molecules randomly traversing the water cycle. They will then write a journal of their travels.
LAFS.1112.RST.1.3, LAFS.68.WHST.3.9 LAFS.910.WHST.3.9 LAFS.1112.WHST.3.9, LAFS.1112.RST.1.3, SC.6.N.1.5, SC.6.N.1.6, SC.7.L.17.1, SC.7.L.17.2, SC.7.L.17.3, SC.7.L.17.2, SC.7.L.17.3, SC.8.N.1.1, SC.8.N.1.5, SC.8.N.1.6, SC.912.L.17.2, SC.912.L.17.3, SC.912.L.17.7, SC.912.L.17.19, SC.912.L.17.20, SC.7.L.17.1, , SC.912.L.17.2, SC.912.N.1.3, SC.912.N.1.6, SC.912.N.1.7, SC.912.N.2.2