Starting cost per student: $150
Additional Info: Price is $150 per connection
Max. Capacity: 35
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Visit Mote Marine Laboratory virtually with SeaTrek.TV!
Ages: Grades 3-8
Time: 50 minutes
Details: How do you train a 3000-pound relative of the elephant? Learn how we care for Hugh and Buffett, our resident West Indian manatees, and find out how big and smart they are.
Objectives: The student will learn the basic characteristics of a mammal, and the adaptations of manatees. The student will also learn how captive manatees are cared for and what conservation efforts are being made for wild populations.
Overview: In this videoconference, Mote Marine Laboratory will present a media-rich videoconference on manatees. Topics presented include:
- Basic mammal characteristics and specific manatee anatomy
- Captive animal husbandry and training
- Environmental Enrichment Devices (EEDs)
- Threats to manatees and how the students can help
- Questions and Answers
- Webconferencing platforms like Skype, Google + or Safari Montage Live OR
- H.323 videoconferencing (Cisco, Polycom, LifeSize, etc.)
We suggest a minimum of 10 students and a maximum of 35 students for optimum interactivity
Visit seatrek.tv to request this program.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1,, SC.7.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L.15.3, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2