Starting cost per student: $4.25
Additional Info: $128 (you save 20% off regular price of $160 through EdExploreSRQ)
Max. Capacity: 30
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Take a Virtual Field Trip with Mote Marine Laboratory. Bring Mote’s research, animals, and exhibits to your learners using affordable, easy-to-use distance learning technology like Skype. Our virtual field trips are an exciting way to engage your learners with STEM topics. Dive into our aquarium and chat with a shark trainer. Or explore the Florida Keys and make observations like a real coral reef scientist.
Marine Mammal Science: Manatees
How do you train a 3000-pound relative of the elephant? Learn how we care for Hugh and Buffett, our resident West Indian manatees, and find out how big and smart they are. Learners participate in a 50-minute interactive video lesson about manatees through a guided game show format. This is followed by an open Q&A chat with our ocean expert.
☎️ SCHEDULING HELPLINE: firstname.lastname@example.org or (941) 388-2904
- Recommended for Ages (Grades):
- 08-09 (3rd), 09-10 (4th), 10-11 (5th)
- Can be Adapted for Ages (Grades):
- 11-12 (6th), 12-13 (7th), 13-14 (8th)
- Format: Interactive Video Lesson
- Duration: 50 mins
- No maximum, but for optimum interactivity, we suggest no more than 30 participants.
- Mote Research Connection:
- Animals featured in this lesson:
- manatees, elephants, dugongs
- Keywords: adaptation, anatomy, biodiversity, classification, conservation, endangered, extinction, habitat, husbandry, migration, predator, rehabilitation, reproduction, stranding, vertebrate
Objectives: Differentiate mammal traits. List all four extant species of sirenian. Explain the conservation status of manatees. Compare three stewardship actions.
- Intro and prior knowledge
- Guided Mammal Mania game
- Mammal traits. Manatee anatomy and adaptations.
- Classification. Species diversity.
- Research and conservation
- Open questions and answers
Full or partial discounts may available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information. Our ExploreSRQ listings are eligible for funding from the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, as well as the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
- Free Tech Check – test your connectivity, audio and video. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1,, SC.7.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L.15.3, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2
This is a recorded demonstration of the live video feed from our underwater camera in our manatee habitat during a Mote SEAtrek.TV lesson. Funding for this project was made possible by the Community Foundation of Sarasota County and the Seattle Aquarium Youth Ocean Advocates.