Starting cost per student: $0.72
Additional Info: $72 (Save 10% off regular price of $80. Your EdExploreSRQ discount will appear on your invoice. All credit card transactions are subject to a base fee of $3.50 + 2.9% of your payment amount. This processing fee is non-refundable and is in addition to your program fees.)
Max. Capacity: 100
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Shark Zone Tour
Join us outdoors. Using our portable distance learning studio, we take you directly to the animals, exhibits and habitats around Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium. This tour is focused on shark research and care at Mote Aquarium. We begin with a review of the history of shark research a the lab. Then we watch a demonstration of shark husbandry and training with our biologists from atop our 135,000 gallon exhibit. We end with a Question and Answer session with our Ocean Experts.
- REQUEST THIS LESSON (requests processed by our booking partners at CILC.org)
- Recommended for Ages (Grades): Recommended for ages 11–14. Can be differentiated for ages 8-10 or 15-18+.
- Duration: 🕜 up to 30 minutes
- Objectives: Students will watch a live shark training and feeding session; learn about the history of shark research and technologies used at our lab; identify reasons for training sharks and other animals in human care; develop an appreciation for sharks and their important ecological roles; compare up to three stewardship actions they can take to help shark conservation.
- Price: $72 (Save 10% off regular price of $80. Your EdExploreSRQ discount will appear on your invoice.)
Shark Zone Tours are currently available only on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays, between 8:30 am–9:45 am ET. Feedings usually begin at 9:30 am ET but are subject to change. We will provide as much notice as possible about any changes. Segments may vary due to weather and veterinary priorities. We will make every effort to deliver the segments as described but may use a combination of live and recorded video when required.
- 9:05 – Standby. A/V checks.
- 9:10 – Start. Shark research at Mote.
- 9:20 – Sharks in our ecosystems
- 9:25 – Demonstration of shark husbandry by aquarium biologists
- 9:30 – Open Q&A with our experts
- 9:35 – Wrap up – visit flipgrid.com/seatrek
Free Tech Check
- ☎️ SCHEDULING HELPLINE: firstname.lastname@example.org or (941) 388-2904
We want to make this the best experience possible for your learners. Book a free tech check and test your connectivity, audio and video anytime. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
Financial Assistance Offered? Full or partial discounts may available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information. Our ExploreSRQ listings are eligible for funding from the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, as well as the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1, SC.4.N.1.8, SC.5.L.15.1, SC.5.L.17.1, SC.6.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L..15.3, SC.7.L.17.1, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2