Starting cost per student: $0
Additional Info: Free on a limited basis through Skype in the Classroom. On-demand for $64 (you save 20% off regular price of $80) through EdExploreSRQ.
Max. Capacity: 30
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Sea Me Read: If A Dolphin Were A Fish
Join Delfina the dolphin as she imagines that she becomes other animals. Readers will watch Delfina become a fish with gills, a sea turtle laying eggs, a pelican with feathers, an octopus without bones, a shark with a sense of smell and even a vegetarian manatee. The incredible “morphing” illustrations will have children laughing as they learn about the real differences between these animals! Join us on this ocean adventure as we discover what makes a mammal a mammal and how creatures have adapted to live in the sea.
A special thanks to Arbordale Publishing for making this lesson possible.
☎️ SCHEDULING HELPLINE: email@example.com or (941) 388-2904
- Recommended for Ages (Grades):
- 06-07 (1st)
- 07-08 (2nd
- 08-09 (3rd)
- May be Adapted for Ages (Grades):
- 04-05 (PreK), 05-06 (Kindergarten), and 09-10 (4th)
- Format: Skype in the Classroom
- Duration: 30 mins
- No maximum, but for optimum interactivity, we suggest no more than 30 participants.
- Mote Research Connection: Sarasota Dolphin Research Program
- Supplemental resources featuring Mote research and exhibits: https://www.seatrek.tv/lessons/dolphin-reads
Objectives: Students will learn about marine animal adaptations and animal classification (mammal, reptile, bird, etc). Students will also use literacy and reading comprehension skills.
- Am I a Mammal?, an animal guessing game (4 minutes)
- The story of If a Dolphin Were a Fish (8 minutes)
- Story Thoughts, help answer a few questions about the story and about dolphins in general (7 minutes)
- Kinds of dolphins (2 minutes)
- How mammals, like dolphins, have adapted to live in the ocean (2 minutes)
- Questions and Answers (5-8 minutes)
This lesson is available for free on a limited basis through Microsoft’s Skype in the Classroom portal. Full or partial discounts for on-demand requests may be available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information.
- Free Tech Check – test your connectivity, audio and video. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
SC.K.N.1.5, SC.K.L.14.2, SC.K.L.14.3, SC.1.N.1, SC.1.N.1.1, SC.1.N.1.2, SC.1.N.1.4, SC.1.L.16.1, SC.1.L.17.1, SC.2.N.1.1, SC.2.N.1.3, SC.2.N.1.6, SC.2.L.17.1, SC.2.L.17.2, LAFS.2.RL.1.1, LAFS.K.RL.1.1, LAFS.K.RL.1.3, LAFS.K.RL.3.7, LAFS.K.RL.4.10, LAFS.K.RF.1.1, LAFS.K.RF.3.3, LAFS.K.RI.1.1, LAFS.K.RI.1.2, LAFS.K.RI.1.3, LAFS.K.RI.3.7, LAFS.K.RI.4.10, LAFS.K.SL.1.1, LAFS.K.SL.1.2, LAFS.K.SL.1.3, LAFS.K.SL.2.6, LAFS.K.L.1.1, LAFS.K.L.3.6, LAFS.1.RL.1.1, LAFS.1.RL.1.2, LAFS.1.RL.1.3, LAFS.1.RL.3.7, LAFS.1.RI.1.1, LAFS.1.RI.1.2, LAFS.1.RI.1.3, LAFS.1.RI.3.7, LAFS.1.SL.1.1, LAFS.1.SL.1.2, LAFS.1.SL.1.3, LAFS.1.SL.2.6, LAFS.1.L.1.1 , LAFS.2.RL.1.3, LAFS.2.RL.3.7, LAFS.2.RI.1.1, LAFS.2.SL.1.1, LAFS.2.SL.1.3, LAFS.2.SL.2.6, LAFS.2.L.1.1, LAFS.2.L.2.3
Expert from If a Dolphin Were a Fish, available via Skype in the Classroom. Courtesy of Arbordale Publishing. Learn more at http://seatrek.tv