Starting cost per student: $4.25
Additional Info: $128 (you save 20% off regular price of $160 through EdExploreSRQ)
Max. Capacity: 30
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Take a Virtual Field Trip with Mote Marine Laboratory. Bring Mote’s research, animals, and exhibits to your learners using affordable, easy-to-use distance learning technology like Skype. Our virtual field trips are an exciting way to engage your learners with STEM topics. Dive into our aquarium and chat with a shark trainer. Or explore the Florida Keys and make observations like a real coral reef scientist.
Sea Turtle Science
Learners participate in a 50-minute interactive video lesson about sea turtles through a guided game show format. This is followed by an open Q&A chat with our ocean expert.
- Recommended for Ages (Grades):
- 11-12 (6th), 12-13 (7th), 13-14 (8th)
- Can be Adapted for Ages (Grades):
- 08-09 (3rd), 09-10 (4th), 10-11 (5th)
- 14-15 (9th), 15-16 (10th), 16-17 (11th), 17-18 (12th)
- Format: Interactive Video Lesson
- Duration: 50 mins
- No maximum, but for optimum interactivity, we suggest no more than 30 participants.
- Mote Research Connection:
- Animals featured in this lesson:
- Keywords: adaptation, anatomy, arribada, biodiversity, carapace, classification, conservation, ectotherm, endangered, extinction, habitat, hatchling, husbandry, migration, nesting, plastron, predator, rehabilitation, reproduction, reptile, scute, stranding, vertebrate
Objectives: Differentiate reptile traits. List all seven species of sea turtle. Explain the conservation status of sea turtles. Compare three stewardship actions.
- Intro and prior knowledge
- Guided Reptilian Millions game
- Reptile traits. Sea turtle anatomy and adaptations.
- Classification. Species diversity
- Research and conservation
- Open questions and answers
Full or partial discounts may available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information.
- Free Tech Check – test your connectivity, audio and video. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1, SC.4.N.1.8, SC.5.L.15.1, SC.5.L.17.1, SC.6.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L.15.3, SC.7.L.17.1, SC.7.L.17.3, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2
Snippets from our Sea Turtles interactive video lesson with Gocio Elementary in Sarasota, FL.