Starting cost per student: $0.72
Additional Info: $72 (Save 10% off regular price of $80 by using the code "EdExploreSRQ" when booking)
Max. Capacity: 100
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Mote Exploration Series
We bring the ocean to you. Using our portable distance learning studio, we take you directly to the animals, exhibits and habitats around Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium. Our thanks to The William G. and Marie Selby Foundation for making this series possible.
- Limited Availability: EXPLORATION SERIES tours are currently available only on Wednesdays or Fridays, between 8:30 am–9:45 am ET.
- ☎️ SCHEDULING HELPLINE: firstname.lastname@example.org or (941) 388-2904
Shark Zone Tour
This tour is focused on shark research and care at Mote Aquarium. We begin with a review of the history of shark research a the lab. Then we watch a demonstration of shark husbandry and training with our biologists from atop our 135,000 gallon exhibit. We end with a Question and Answer session with our Ocean Experts.
- Recommended for Ages (Grades): 11–18 (6th–12th) + Teachers
- Duration: 🕜 up to 30 minutes
- Objectives: Students will watch a live shark training and feeding session; learn about the history of shark research and technologies used at our lab; identify reasons for training sharks and other animals in human care; develop an appreciation for sharks and their important ecological roles; compare up to three stewardship actions they can take to help shark conservation.
- Price: $72 (Save 10% off regular price of $80 by using the code “EdExploreSRQ” when booking)
Shark Zone Tours are currently available only on Wednesdays or Fridays, between 8:30 am–9:45 am ET. Feedings usually begin at 9:30 am ET but are subject to change. We will provide as much notice as possible about any changes. Segments may vary due to weather and vetrinary priorities. We will make every effort to deliver the segments as described but may use a combination of live and recorded video when required.
- 9:05 – Standby. A/V checks.
- 9:10 – Start. Shark research at Mote.
- 9:20 – Sharks in our ecosystems
- 9:25 – Demonstration of shark husbandry by aquarium biologists
- 9:30 – Open Q&A with our experts
- 9:35 – Wrap up – visit flipgrid.com/seatrek
Free Tech Check
Recommended Technology for Virtual Lessons and Livestreams: We recommend connecting via Zoom or Skype but we will try any technology necessary to connect with your classroom. We want to make this the best experience possible for your learners. Book a free tech check and test your connectivity, audio and video anytime. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
Financial Assistance Offered? Full or partial discounts may available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information. Our ExploreSRQ listings are eligible for funding from the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, as well as the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1, SC.4.N.1.8, SC.5.L.15.1, SC.5.L.17.1, SC.6.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L..15.3, SC.7.L.17.1, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2