Starting cost per student: $2.13
Additional Info: $64 (you save 20% off regular price of $80 through EdExploreSRQ)
Max. Capacity: 30
Transportation Needed? No
Who Arranges Transportation? Other (see description)
Is Financial Assistance Offered? Yes
Take a Virtual Field Trip with Mote Marine Laboratory. Bring Mote’s research, animals, and exhibits to your learners using affordable, easy-to-use distance learning technology like Skype. Our virtual field trips are an exciting way to engage your learners with STEM topics. Dive into our aquarium and chat with a shark trainer. Or explore the Florida Keys and make observations like a real coral reef scientist.
This lesson is focused on shark research at Mote Marine Laboratory. We begin with an overview of shark husbandry and training at our aquarium and the research technology we use. We end with a Question and Answer session with our Ocean Expert.
- Recommended for Ages (Grades):
- 08-09 (3rd), 09-10 (4th), 10-11 (5th), 11-12 (6th), 12-13 (7th), 13-14 (8th), 14-15 (9th), 15-16 (10th), 16-17 (11th), 17-18 (12th), Adult (Lifelong)
- Format: Interactive Video Lesson
- Duration: 50 mins
- No maximum, but for optimum interactivity, we suggest no more than 30 participants.
- Mote Research Connection: Sharks and Rays Conservation Research Program
- Supplemental Materials and Registration: www.seatrek.tv/lessons/sb2info
- Animals in this lesson: game fish, reef fish, sharks, rays
- Keywords:adaptation, anatomy, behavior, biodiversity, climate change, conservation, elasmobranch, habitat, husbandry, migration, postitive reinforcement, predator, reproduction, species, training
- Prior knowledge and overview of Mote’s research history and current shark research projects
- Conversation about shark husbandry, training and care at Mote Marine Laboratory
- Role of sharks in their ecosystem
- Shark conservation
- Questions and Answers
Full or partial discounts may available for Title 1 Schools or schools with a student population >40% free and reduced lunches. Please contact us for more information. Our ExploreSRQ listings are eligible for funding from the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, as well as the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
SC.3.L.15.1, SC.3.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.4, SC.3.N.1.7, SC.4.L.16.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.4.L.17.4, SC.4.N.1.1, SC.4.N.1.8, SC.5.L.15.1, SC.5.L.17.1, SC.6.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.1, SC.7.L.15.2, S.C.7.L..15.3, SC.7.L.17.1, SC.8.N.4.1, SC.8.N.4.2