Starting cost per student: $0
Additional Info: The only cost for public schools is transportation. All other groups are determined at time of booking.
Max. Capacity: 115
Transportation Needed? Yes
Who Arranges Transportation? School
Is Financial Assistance Offered? No
Sarasota County Schools is unfortunately not allowing field trips during this time, but please feel free to use this awesome resource put together by one of our top students. Stay tuned for more! https://rhsaquascience.com/under-the-sea-during-quarantine/
From robust career preparatory pathways in marine science research and engineering to the widest variety of elective sciences offered in the area — students explore a variety of scientific fields of study and the tools that will ensure their success in STEAM professional environments. The Stars to Starfish program, as part of the IB Career Pathway program, builds competencies in three core areas: Research For students who are interested in pursuing STEAM careers, the Stars to Starfish program provides direct experience with scientific research, preparing them for success in University settings.
- Our robust research partnerships with Mote Marine Aquarium, New College, University of Florida, Tropical Aquaculture Lab ensure real research experiences.
- New partnerships emerging to robustly teach participatory, citizen science in collaboration with SciStarter, iNaturalist, and the NASA GLOBE programs.
- Nearly 4,000 students have learned about marine science research through participation in the rigorous Riverview marine science curriculum.
EDUCATION AND LEADERSHIP
Students build skills in public communication, education, and leadership as they explore the ocean environment leading field trip experiences for 5000 elementary students annually through the planetarium and Aquadome.
- 25,000 elementary and middle school-aged students with impact on over 4000 high school students at Riverview High School since the program’s inception.
- Active collaboration between science research programs and Riverview art departments adds experiential value to collaboration with graphic design, 2D and 3D art, and photography and media engaged students. Preparation for Alternative Careers Students learn about the variety of careers in STEM beyond research including aquaculture, sustainable fisheries, maintaining and environmental restoration and stewardship.
- Students are prepared to pursue careers in environmental management,
- Students participate in a full-fledged aquaculture facility rearing clownfish and fragmenting corals for propagation. In addition, we participate in restorative ecology through husbandry and release of native snook species at risk.
Learn more about our Exploration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrGdf32brc
Or visit our website: https://rhsaquascience.com/
Planning your field trip: https://rhsaquascience.com/welcome-to-stars-to-starfish/
SC.K.N.1.5, SC.K.E.5.1 , SC.K.E.5.2, SC.K.E.5.3, SC.K.E.5.4, SC.K.E.5.5 , SC.K.E.5.6, SC.1.N.1.4, SC.1.E.5.1, SC.1.E.5.2, SC.1.E.5.3, SC.1.E.5.4, SC.1.E.6.1, SC.1.L.14.3, SC.2.N.1.3, SC.2.E.6.1, SC.2.E.7.2, SC.2.E.7.4, SC.2.P.8.2, SC.2.P.13.1, SC.2.P.13.4, SC.2.L.17.1, SC.3.N.1.5, SC.3. E.5.1, SC.3.E.5.2, SC.3.E.5.3, SC.3.E.5.4, SC.3.E.5.5, SC.3.E.6.1, SC.3.P.9.1, SC.4.N.1.3, SC.4.N.1.7 , SC.4.E.5.1, SC.4.E.5.2, SC.4.E.5.3, SC.4.E.5.4, SC.5.E.5.1, SC.5.E.5.2, SC.5.E.5.3, SC.5.P.13.1, SC.5.P.13.3